Stw

Stw

SPOILER ALERT!
Divergent - Veronica Roth

The main character of the divergent novel is named Beatrice Prior. She was born and raised in the Abnegation (selflessness) faction. But she’s always felt like she doesn’t fit in in that faction because she’s not as selfless as her mother, as kind as her brother, or as good of a citizen as her father. With the choosing ceremony coming up, she takes her test and finds out that she’s Divergent, meaning that she doesn’t fit neatly into one faction like society wants her to. Because she’s alway felt different, she decides to leave her family and transfers factions.

I don’t read as much as I used to, but I’ve read enough books to know that we usually like, or at least kind of like the main characters because we know every part of their story better than everyone else’s. The number one reason I like Beatrice Prior so much is that she’s self-sufficient. In lots of stories, the protagonist has to be saved time after time because they can’t save themselves. But in Divergent Tris can save herself, and she’s independent. She symbolizes woman empowerment, and she’s strong even when things seem hopeless.

Not only does she never give up, but she’s smart and strategic. She can come up with plans to get out of sticky situations and can carry them out. What’s so special about her is that she really would die for her friends and family. Her test results were partly Erudite, Dauntless, and Abnegation. Her bravery is constantly proven throughout the story. When she chooses to transfer to Dauntless, in her simulations, when she got on the train after being beaten so badly by Peter, and so many more times. Her knowledge is proven when she forms the plan to shut down the simulation, and in her test when she responds to the dog attacking the girl. She shows selflessness when she takes Al’s place in front of the throwing knives target.

Beatrice constantly surprises us, and usually in a good way. She’s a unique character, and it’s super interesting to read her story, and the way that everything was detailed and described made you feel like you were there with her, and you could clearly imagine what was happening. The character was created extremely well. It was a great story to read and would definitely recommend it.